I don't know that this is a problem.  Think of Linux as the computer
system industry (Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc).  All the seasoned geeks have
an opinion, some will tell you that this name-brand is good, others will
tell you something different.  Did that hinder the PC market?

I'm glad that there are different distributions.  With a free product they
can't compete on price, so they have to compete on the things that matter,
like UI, features, functionality, etc.  Having one "best" distribution
would be good at first, but after slack, deb, redhat, etc are all gone
then the maintainers of "Good Linux" lose a lot of their motivation.

Look at Windows, obviously having only one "distribution" of windows has
hindered Microsoft's motivation to make it outstanding to compete with
someone else's version of Windows.  Imagine if another company offered a
version of Windows (think - OS/2 but Win32 compatible) besides Microsoft.
Maybe Big-Bill would have a reason to make Windows better, rather than
just more expensive.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications