> On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 12:01:50AM -0500, andy at theasis.com wrote:
> >You don't vote, do you?
>
> No. I haven't the time nor the will to educate myself enough to make an
> intelligent decision on a candidate. So rather than vote blindly and possibly
> aiding in mass idiocy, I choose to abstain.
>
> THough I don't see the correlation.

Merely wondering if it goes along with the pessimistic attitude. Or is it
fatalistic?

Consumers can only have influence through their $ and their willingness to
communicate. Consumers of free stuff have only 1/2 of that. Attending to
consumer feedback is the cheapest form of market research.

> >I bet it'll do one more good (in terms of actually fixing the broken-ness)
> >than merely sending a note to some LUG list.
>
> Possibly. But all that "Hey this is broken" mail goes the same place as the
> "You suck" mail. /dev/null
>
> They are a rather large company and it seems to me, they could care less about
> you. (or else they wouldn't charge for thier "Update Service" If anything that
> should be free. After all you aren't getting the pretty package or support
> contract.

Too many big assumptions behind all those conclusions for my taste. I use
RedHat not because I think they're great, but because I'm familiar with
them, they've worked well for my purposes, and none of their shortcomings
are sufficient to make me want to sink the time into switching to
something else. So I'm anything but a rabid fan. Even so, it'd be hard to
convince me that any of your claims could be true in terms of their normal
practices.

> >I've heard some disturbing things from others trying to install or upgrade
> >6.x to 7.0. I find this somewhat odd given that the beta worked pretty
> >well for me on at least 3 occasions.
> >
> Bummer, sure is gonna bring work to a halt for an hour or two for our RH using
> coders. Wish it were a little better. I thought RedHat's installer was thier
> big claim to fame, they could have done better than this IMHO.

Sure it was. They have other claims to fame now. They have other
emphases. Any company who's been around that long in this industry can't
afford to be static (stagnant). And it's not an installer that will keep
them in business. Sure, I wish they would improve it in a lot of ways.

As for people doing work, blindly going out and grabbing the latest update
as soon as it appears isn't necessarily the most sound approach to
maintaining productivity. Regardless of your distribution and what gods
built it, I sure hope anyone doing something critical does a little
checking first.

> Perhaps that's why debian has that kick ass update method, cause the install
> sucks (really badly untill you get used to it. Personally I fly through it but
> new debian users have a hell of a time)
>
> Oh well. More work for me I guess. Cheers.

There's always that.

Andy