While we're on the topic of DSL, I have a question.  I've had DSL for about
2 years or so - long enough that I've always had a bridged connection.
Well, I recently moved and will be waiting about another month before USQWest
an get my DSL up.  My ISP's informed me that they're going to give me a
routed DSL connection because they're trying to get rid of their bridged
ones (most likely so they can save on IPs - for security reasons they were
giving each user his/her own subnet, which makes that 4 IPs per user -
expensive).  My question is this: Since my IP address will now be assigned
to my DSL router _instead_ of my firewall/NAT box, how can I still have my
firewall act as the firewall for my network?  Obviously, I'm going to put
it on the line between my router and the rest of my network, and I can
concieve setting it up as an ethernet bridge or something, but it seems
like it will be difficult to do the port forwarding I'm doing now.

I suppose I could setup my router to forward to 10.0.0.1:25 (for mail) and
then have 10.0.0.1:25 forwarded to 10.0.0.2:25 (my mail server).  But it
seems like a silly extra step.

Has anyone run into a similar situation?

TIA,

Gabe

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Pillage Pillage Pillage!  Loot Loot Loot!!"
					     - Stimpson J. Cat in "Out West"