I have played around with it.  I had a demo running at work, but the powers
that be decided to try an ASP for mail running Exchange.  Openmail worked
well.  Lots of command line tools.  Many man pages.  You can download a time
limited version from HP's website.  I know that at one time you could get a
full working version (without support) for a company with <50 people (i.e.
50 licenses for free!).  I thought running HP OpenMail on Linux would be
cool as well, but alas...

As for your other questions:
1. You need to apply a patch to the Outlook clients, and then it works about
the same as talking to an Exchange server.

2.  Performance. It performed extremely well (of course using only 2 users
is not a valid test, but I was able to get it to run on hardware that would
have not worked with NT and Exchange.)  I believe the hardware requirements
are much less (probably due to the fact you are not running a stupid GUI on
a mail server (NT, ugh what a joke).

3.  Scale.  I did not try that, but you can run a license server, and allow
several OpenMail servers to take the load.  The back end for the transport
(from what little I played with it) is Sendmail.  I did not try to get it to
talk to qmail or the like (but it probably could via the sendmail
compability in qmail).

Kelly Black

http://profiles.msn.com.