Try running rpcinfo -p 'hostname'

from localhost, and the remote host.  compare notes.

I bet for some reason the remote portmapper is setup to deny.  Which can
(oddly enough) be set in your hosts.deny stuff.  You might want to be
sore that your allowing in hosts.allow (ip based *only*) and hosts.deny
(ALL, so any that dont match allow are allowed).

* Adam Maloney <adamm at sihope.com> [000926 19:33]:

Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> #nicnac at efnet
http://www.ringworld.org/  finger:dieman at destiny.ringworld.org