On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 09:23:51AM -0500, Adam Maloney wrote:
> The shell expands the *, not grep.  You want to use either xargs or a
> script:
>
> for file in `ls -1`
> do
>   grep "string" $file
> done
>
> xargs is really the solution though, check the manual.

I think it would just be

find . -type f | xargs grep pattern

Where pattern is what you're searching for.  Though, I'm not sure if the
shell will complain about this or not, but I don't think so.  If I had a
dir with 10000 files in it, I'd let you know for sure :)

Gabe

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"My dinosaur droppings!  Painted like Easter eggs!"
						- Ren Hoek in "Sven Hoek"