> #
> # Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
> # All rights reserved.
> #
> #       @(#)etc.printcap        5.2 (Berkeley) 5/5/88
> #
> # Remote Deskjet Printer connected to Windows
> lp|deskjet:\
>         :lp=:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/indra:\
>         :rm=windows.mydomain.com:\
>         :rp=deskjet:\
>         :sh:sf:mx#0:\
>         :pl#66:pw#80:

First off, you should check to see if linux supports your deskjet at all.
Some (but not all) HP DeskJets are Windows only (host based) printers. They
don't work for the same reason winmodems don't work in Linux.

If it is supported by linux, things are looking up. Install apsfilter or
magicfilter to help you set up filters for printing to your printer. Want
the bad news now? You can't print to a printer shared by a windows box (to
the best of my knowelege anyway...) via lpr. If your printer is supported by
linux, connect it to your linux box and use samba to share it to windows.

Actually, you can share a printer from windows to a linux machine if you
have Win2K server, I have yet to try this myself (and don't really want to
anyway.)

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
With a name like Zbikowski, you've gotta be good.