TWIMC,

>I just got a coppermine based laptop (hyperdata) that won't boot linux
without disabling the L2 >cache.  I've tried RH 6.2, RH 6.9 and Debian 2.4
(slink).

I experienced the same symptoms with an older laptop (P-133) running Slink.
The cause was a problem with the kernel images, a difficulty expanding a
bzimage kernel, which is the standard for debian since slink due to the
quantity of drivers in the default kernel.  Using the zimages enabled me to
get it loaded and running.

This may well be a case of coincidentally similar symptoms, however.  I
don't know if RH is using bz compression on their installation images.
Just tossing out another possibility.

scripsi,

Mike Haarman