On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 01:07:19AM -0500, Scott Dier wrote:
> * ^chewie <chewie at wookimus.net> [000920 18:12]:
> > test8.  BTW, test8's VM is really FSCKED up.  It'd be best if you used
>
> Its not fscked, just different.  Seems to be much, much more agressive
> in deciding how to allocate ram to page.  I haven't noticed anything
> other than that tho.

Scott.  Pay attention to the kernel-devel list a little more.  Have
you seen the number of patches floating around for test8?  Just look
in the ./testing directory.  Then place on top of that my personal
experience of watching my box freak out...

<typical syslog prefix>VM: Shutting down postgresql....
<typical syslog prefix>VM: Shutting down sendmail...
.
.
.
<box freeze, lack of response from keyboard, mouse, or network card>
.
.
.
<did I forget to mention...lack of reboot...>

Yeah, the new VM is different, aggressive, and all whip-de-doo, but
it's not solid enough to run on consitantly.  Thus, as you so
succintly put, "that's why they call it a development kernel."

:. use the stable kernels until 2.4 is... well... stable.

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie