On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 11:12:16AM -0500, Andy Zbikowski wrote:
> > Redhat installs for you vim-minimal.whatever.rpm.  Redhat also has
> > packages for more complete RPMs with a lot of those other features
> > turned on.  Take a look at the CD again for those vim packages and
> > install one of them.  Debian does the same thing.
>
> Whoever packaged VIM for Debian was smoking serious crack. vim and vim-gtk
> make sence, but they should both depend on, or at least suggest, vim-rt
> (kinda helps to have the runtime files...) I don't get it...maybe there is a
> logical explaination somewhere...

Well, vim, vim-gtk, etc. do recommend vimi-rt - /var/lib/dpkg/available :

Package: vim
Section: editors
Installed-Size: 600
Maintainer: Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 5.6.070-1
Replaces: vim-rt, vim-tiny, vim-perl, vim-python, vim-tcl, vim-gtk
Provides: editor
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libgpmg1 (>= 1.14-16), libncurses5
Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.6.8)
Recommends: vim-rt
Suggests: ctags
Conflicts: vim-tiny, vim-perl, vim-python, vim-tcl, vim-tty, vim-gtk
Filename: dists/stable/main/binary-i386/editors/vim_5.6.070-1.deb
Size: 316832
MD5sum: d1505d321d5eda0f3b47653e7705587a
 Vim is an almost compatible version of the UNIX editor Vi.  Many new features
 have been added: multi level undo, syntax highlighting, command line history,
 on-line help, filename completion, block operations, etc.
 .
 This packages contains the vim program itself. The runtime-files are in the
 vim-rt package. It has been build with all the normal features but without
 any X support.

So the vim packages recommends vim-gtk, but do not depend on it.
Let me guess - you installed vim with apt-get.  Unfortunately,
apt-get will only automatically try to install packages that
are depended on, not those that are suggested or recommended.
To get a look at what packages are suggested you have to use
dselect (or possibly one of the apt front-end like gnome-apt
or console-apt).

As for why vim-rt is only suggested by the other vim packages, I'm
not sure.  Maybe if you're only use vim as a vi replacement you
don't need the runtime files?  I just tried, and vim seems to work
fine without vim-rt.  Of course, the syntax highlighting disappears.
And I'm pretty sure there is a good reason for it, the vim maintainer,
Wickert Akkerman is the Debian Project Leader.  He's probably pretty
likely to set the dependancies for good reason ;)

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |