> SCSI Card: Adaptec 2100S RAID - Single channel, 32MB cache, 32-bit PCI,
> Ultra160

> Will either OS let me know if a SCSI drive dies and the mirror is broken?

the RAID controller we use around here is the Mylex 150 (same thing VA puts
in their boxen). it reports information through a /proc interface, and I
understand it will give you pretty much all the information you want, that
way.
	if you want to monitor it with Netsaint or the like; it's certainly
possible.
	no other controller that we know of is supported this well in the
Linux kernel. (please, prove us wrong!)

> Will either OS report ECC errors?
	I know there is a Linux project to support ECC memory; but that's
all I know.

as for server power; at my last job I used a 486/66 as a webserver (just
static pages); and it was more than adequate. (10b-T LAN, 56K net
connection). just slapping bits on the wire takes almost no CPU. :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises