Hi,

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 Nick.T.Reinking at supervalu.com wrote:

> Don't tell me that I can get a Sun E250, with that kind of disk
> and memory for $3500.  :P

No, you can't, but that machine will not really come close to the same
performance as an E250 with Solaris on it.

You can get a 2U rackmountable Ultra10 (with SCSI, not IDE) for <$3500. In
fact I think it's <$2500.

Sun hardware/software makes a lot of sense ESPECIALLY since you want
stability. Linux has come a LONG way since it's started, but it's still
not Solaris (; and I won't even start comparing Intel to Sun hardware.

But, once again, if you don't expect to be taking a lot of heat right from
the start, Linux on a midrange Intel box should do fine. I had a 166MHz
Pentium box running a webserver serving >1,000,000 hits/month, including
dynamic stuff (no DB though).

You might want to consider getting a whole bunch of 'low end' boxes and
rolling your own load balancer/roundrobin DNS.

-Yaron