Greetings, all, I'm looking to build a server for an e-commerce
company that I'm thinking about starting up.  Sadly, as I don't
have much experience running Linux on "high-end" machines,
I have a few questions.

First of all, the (relevent) config:

CPU: 2x PIII Coppermine 800MHz (133MHz bus FCPGA)
Motherboard: SuperMicro 370DLE Socket 370 ServerWorks
      ServerSet III LE chipset, 2x64-bit PCI, 4x32-bit PCI, 133MHz bus, 8GB
supported memory
SCSI Card: Adaptec 2100S RAID - Single channel, 32MB cache, 32-bit PCI,
Ultra160
SCSI Hard Drives: 2x Seagate Cheetah X15 - 15000 RPMs, 18.4GB
IDE Boot Drive: IBM IDE (whatever size)
CD-ROM: Whatever IDE
Memory: 512MB ECC
NICs: Built-in Intel eepro100, 3Com 3C905b
Case: Full Tower In-Win w/ Redundant Power Supplies

Questions:

What OS should I use?  FreeBSD or Linux?
Which takes better advantage of the second CPU?
Is all the hardware supported under both?
Do the OSes take advantage of the special features of the ServerWorks chipset?
Will either OS let me know if a SCSI drive dies and the mirror is broken?
Will either OS report ECC errors?
Would the eepro100 be a better primary NIC, or the 3Com?
Will either OS let me know if a power supply dies?

Thanks for the advice,
Nick Reinking