you must be lucky, I too have the same mandrake-suck problems, their use
of PGCC is just too unstable for what i'm doing.. i've had the wierdest
problems with their libs, and even kernel problems.. like i have a bunch
of workstations that telnet to an old DG box.. at random times of
inactivity, they just drop the socket.. i re-installed with redhat 6.2
(was mandrake 7) and it works fine.  also, the habit of mandrake-soft to
put out useless utilities, like mandrake update.. I can't even use it
because #1, it's GUI only.. and #2, i have a port 80 firewall and need to
use a proxy.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)