On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Ryan Ware wrote:

> I am interested in eventually learning one or both and would like to hear of
> any personal experience with either on, or where you think it shines or
> doesn't.

Well I don't know Perl, but I have some Python experience and I can
recommend it highly. It's outstanding as a teaching language, but has the
capability to go way beyond that purpose. We're proposing an intro to
comp. programming course at Sibley for next fall and I'll teach Python if we
can make it go.

Another reason I use Python is because I also develop Web apps using
Zope. Zope is written mostly in Python and knowing Python really helps you
grok Zope.

The syntax is very clean. Many people consider "executable
pseudocode." Other ubergeeks like esr have also taken strongly to Python.

OTOH, Perl is no doubt cool and I'm sure you wouldn't suffer by learning
it. As a starter, however, I'd go with Python.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/