Ryan,

I think, no matter which language you choose, that a very important
element of learning a new language is to have a good book on the
subject. I especially like those books that encourage good programming
practice in the context of the language they teach, but sometimes these
are hard to find.

Does anyone know of books on Perl or Python that fit this mold?

I am partial to Perl, but I have nothing against Python except that my
experience with it is limited. I have found Perl to be fun, flexible,
and powerful. There are many examples of obfuscated Perl code out there,
but with good comments, variable names, and an eye toward organization,
Perl can look very english-like (but the same could be said of a quite a
few languages, and I think Python is one of them).

Good luck,

Troy

Ryan Ware wrote:

> Hello all, I am starting to teach myself to program using a scripting
> language.  I've heard that both Perl and Python are powerful and fairly easy
> to use.
>
> Are there any inherent advantages to one or the other for the beginning
> programmer?  By beginning I mean no other programming experience other that
> a little basic a long time ago. (That should probably be a long long time
> ago, as in the beginning of Star Wars).
>
> I am interested in eventually learning one or both and would like to hear of
> any personal experience with either on, or where you think it shines or
> doesn't.
>
> Thanks
>
> |Ryan Ware                 |
> |Interplastic Corporation  |
> |651-766-3820              |

Troy Johnson   mailto:john1536 at tc.umn.edu   http://umn.edu/~john1536/
	-- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.