Callum Lerwick wrote:

> "> I started with a RedHat server (6.2) and updated the kernel to
> > 2.3.99-pre6 so that I could get my HD to work with an Ultra66 card.
> > However, under this new kernel I have a strange network problem.
> > Specifically when I use IPChains commands, like:
> >
> > /sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60
> >
> > I get:
> >
> > ipchains: setting MASQ timeouts failed: Protocol not available
> >
> > I'm assuming 2.3.99-pre6 somehow implements networking a bit
> > differently, but I can't figure out what it is.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
>
> Kernel 2.3/2.4 has yet another new firewalling setup requiring new user
> space tools. Can't remember what all its called offhand... And why are
> you using 2.3 rather than 2.4test?

I have only USWest to blame.  When I setup the server, right after
ordering DSL service from USWest, 2.3.99-pre6 was the latest and
greatest.  The DSL service has just been installed and it's only now
that I'm finding these problems.  I will probably switch to 2.4 now,
based on some of the comments I've heard.  I'm also going to investigate
"netfilter".  Thanks!

--
Seth Bernsen