On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Philip C Mendelsohn wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:
>
> > I'd like to begin putting my lecture notes and overhead projector
> > transparencies in electronic format. I wonder if someone has a quick
> > recommendation.

> I'd say it depends on what subject you're teaching and what age.  I assume
> we're talking H.S. from your sig.  If it's math or a hard science, I'd go
> with something TeX-ey, since they'll run into it later.

I'm teaching 9th grade science and 12th grade physics. The math capabilities
of TeX would be cool.

I still think that an XML system that would allow me to do lesson planning,
unit planning, and integrate everything together would be cool. Zope is
quickly gaining the ability to handle XML documents elegantly which would
provide a method of publishing everything online if I wanted to. I'll going
to check it out and see what's out there. Worst case scenario would seem to
be TeX/LaTeX (possibly via LyX). That's not bad for a worst case scenario.

<rant class=OT>
While I have the floor I'll take this opportunity to say that almost no
high school physics student will ever see TeX in their academic careers.
Even those in the most advanced high school courses rarely get to the level
in college science or math that would ever expose them to TeX. The
recognition that most students taking high school physics will never take
another physics course *should* make a difference in the way h.s. physics is
taught.
</rant>

Later,
Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/