On WYSIWYG...

Pro's
    * Environment similar to WYSIWYG word processors
    * Able to view the page as you're creating it

Con's
    * You don't learn anything about the structuring of the underlying
        markup.
    * The markup the WYSIWYG generates is often filled with bugs and
        bad assumptions, and is not often formatted for viewing by
        standard text editors (i.e. standard tab stops or no stops,
        good formatting, and less than 80 columns -- no long lines).
    * Very few WYSIWYG's actually use advanced tools such as Cascading
        Style Sheets (CSS), and in effect, litter the HTML markup with
        unnecessary tags and options.
    * Adding HTML markup not standard with the WYSIWYG functionality
        is often a pain to use, a pain to edit, and a pain to view.
    * Most WYSIWYG's use key bindings similar to environments designed
        for point-n-click interface, which may be fine for the average
        joe user, but for those who are more comfortable with a
        keyboard than a mouse, it's a pain in the ass.

        In other words, I WANT MY VI BINDINGS!

<rant>
Main arguments against WYSIWYG's...

The most common application of WYSIWYG's, such as document editors,
whether it be Word format or HTML, is that they assume you are
creating ad hoc documents or "one-timers."  The problem with this
assumption is that businesses use these applications to run their
business and formal processes, processes that use a standard form or
set of forms for their everyday practices.

I hold this statement to be truth in all cases: "If you use a form
(letter, report, memo, etc) more than three times, or if more than two
people need to use the form, it should be formalized and controlled."
The best way to do so is to create an on-line forms application, a web
application.

The con to this is that when people have WYSIWYG's to their disposal,
"one-timers" or "one-offs" begin to perpetuate.  Soon, you've got 8
flavors of a given form floating around the office.  You don't know
who controls it, where it came from, or what you're supposed to do
with each version.  Then you run into the problem of compatibility;
not everyone uses the same tools all of the time...

If you can't tell, this is a problem that I'm running into at work at
the moment.  I can't stress enough the importance of creating
client-independent web-based forms applications for ANY formal
business process or policy that gets used on a regular basis.

Anyway, </rant>.

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie