Bob Tanner wrote:

> So, now that all of the new RPMS from Redhat are in v4, what are the people
> still at v3 suppose to do?
>
> % rpm --rebuild XFree86-*
> Installing XFree86-4.0.1-0.43.src.rpm
> only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
>
> % rpm -qlp XFree86-4.0.1-0.43.src.rpm
> only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM
>
> ARGH!

Grab the RPM 4.x tarball and built an RPM. Though, where are you getting
these XF4.0.1 rpms? If they're from rawhide and you're running 6.2
release they depend on a new version of glibc and xdm wants a new PAM...

You're better off compiling XFree 4 from source on redhat until 7.0 is
released. Unless you want* to run pinstripe or something. :P

Or switch to mandrake like I did. The XF4.0.1 packages from cooker work
fine with 7.1 release. Mandrake is sticking with RPM 3 for now...