>When my Cisco trains at 640/272, it
>really causes problems with my POTS line.  The volume is decreased a lot and

>there is static on some of the phones in our house.  This is not a
>complaint - the upgrade is greatly anticipated.

Really?  I've not experienced such, and mine has trained at various levels over
the last year (it originally trained in the 700's at the time it was installed
about a year ago, was working at the advertised 256 for a while after that,
and has probably been training at 640 for a few weeks now given earlier discussions
on this list).  So, I might look to see if you got some other issues to deal
with?  If we have 7mB to look forward to someday, I would hate to lose the ability
to piggy-back on my existing POTS line.

(How much power are you getting from the other end?  I'm pretty close to the
CO, so I'm getting ~39dB -- which may make all the difference.)
--
Michael Fleming
<mfleming at isd.net>