I've got a server that is going ip masqerading over a dilaup and running a
dns server. It is using dial on demand so the routing shows that there is
always a link up.  All teh clients are using the server for dns.

I want all local questions (intranet) to be answered by our dns server
without trigering and looking up via the internet. If the dns question
isn't local, I want it forwarded to the dns servers our isp gives us. If
that fails, I want our dns server to use teh hits file..

Our /etc/named.conf is:

options {
        directory "/etc/dns";
        /*
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;

forwarders {
207.171.208.10;
207.171.208.11;
};
};

zone "hearing.org" {
        type master;
        file "domain.hosts";
};

zone "1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
         type master;
         file "domain.reverse";
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
};

Is this the right configuration? I know it works, but I fear that it using
teh forwarders and hints and then the local stuff when that fails. Also,
recently our phone line died and we had no dialup, and our internal e-mail
becare very very slow I think because of dns problems and waiting for
timeouts. Or is this inevitable since the dns server sees a gateway to out
outside and tries it and must wait until it timesout because of dial on
demand.

Ben

Recently
our phone line went dead and so we couldn't dial to the internet and
because of dns attempts our internal network before very very slow.