Quoting Bob Tanner (tanner at real-time.com):
> I have made a Redhat 6.2 box with a /var as a Linear mode device.
>
> My first attempt was to compile linear mode as a module, but the kernel yacks
> on boot about not being able to load RAID files.
>
> So, my second attempt was to compile Linear into the kernel, but now I get
> unresolved references.
>
> The root-raid HOWTO does not seem relevant to my situation. Any ideas?

Look more in-depth at the problem, I even see the RAID personalities being
registered with the kernel:

md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
linear personality registered
raid0 personality registered
raid1 personality registered
raid5 personality registered

But then:

Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode [  OK  ]
Finding module dependencies [  OK  ]
Starting up RAID devices: /dev/md0: Invalid argument
/dev/md0 must be a nonpersistent RAID0 or LINEAR array!
md0

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (612)943-8500