On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Callum Lerwick wrote:

>> be sure you don't include "Enable DMA if available" when making
>> kernels.  If you do include it, you won't be able to mount your drive.
>>
>What kernel version? I've hand no end of trouble with IDE-SCSI in
>2.2.16. It fails randomly and the drive goes of into lala land spewing
>tons of SCSI errors. Only a reboot (Or yanking the power on the drive.

I had this issue with 2.2.15 and 16 (didn't own a burner before then).  My
errors were of the "scsi wants to send too much data" variety.  I could
burn cds all day long, but could not mount the burner (under scsi
emulation, I could using regular ide/atapi).  Apparently this same problem
plagues those owning certain hp ide cdrs.  Disabling dma fixed it.  I found
the discussion in the May 2000 kernel list archives.

What sort of burner do you have?  What sort of errors do you get?  I'd
happily share what I've done to make mine work

-

Ryan