> I was using pan-0.80 (stable release or gnome' s newsreader) and when
> receiving new headers from a newsgroup it took away all my memory (32meg
> ram +64 swap) and made the hard drive trash. After 10 minutes of trying to
> get to a terminal to kill it with no luck (contorl-alt-delete, backspace,
> an open eterm), I finally had to use teh reset button. I've never had to
> do that before with linux --ARRRR. When StarOffice did this, I could at
> least kill it.

IMHO, pan is still beta-grade software; and there were known runaway-memory issues with v0.80 (I was on the mailing list at the time).
try upgrading to the latest (probably beta) package (.deb or RPM) from their web page (www.superpimp.org), and see if that makes a difference.

speaking of Out Of Memory conditions; I had one the other day, where I needed to one-finger the box. I suspect that a combination of long-running netscape, xfishtank, and vmware were to blame; but can't be really sure. I now have a spare 1GB SCSI drive as an additional swap space, so we'll see if it happens again. ;)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises