Hi,

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> The ports collection is fine - and I would like to see it ported to Linux.

Well, my 'examples' are pine4-ssl which actually does not build SSL
support (had to build manually). glib/gtk install glib_config and
gtk_config with alternate names so anything not in ports can't find them,
some libs go in /usr/lib and some go in /usr/X11R6/llib for no reason
(glib again).

> Netscape works fine as long as you have the compatibility libraries.  Quite
> stable - not too big a deal.

I know, I was just being mean on that one. I've been running the BSDi
Netscape and it crashes just as often as the Linux native Netscape crahes
on Linux, so...

> X isn't any slower on FreeBSD than on Linux (except for perhaps the 4.0.x
> enhancements made with DRI).

Step into my office and say that. Minimizing/unminimizing windows is a LOT
slower. Granted, it's a lot of translucent aterms, but still. Sometimes
you can SEE the damn thing draw the window and then print out every line
in it. Plus when you hold down a key, it can't display the characters fast
enough. This is X4.0.1 with an nvidia. I'm not complaining about the slow
OpenGL, I don't care as much about that.

Oh, xmms skips when compiling.

> I am surprised that WindowMaker made its extensions "Linux" only.

It's not WindowMaker, which works fine - it's some individual DockApps.

The greatest disadvantage to FreeBSD I see is that there's no TCFBSD (;

-Yaron