> I set up an account on Yahoo mail to avoid conflict
> with my wifes NS mail (she programs out of our home on
> a WIN box and we share the phone line), so I attempted
> to set up 'messenger' on yahoo. It ran once after I
> successfully opened the tarball and set messenger up.
> However I now encounter a problem with resolution of
> server address '' is the default, but I
> cannot for the life of me find out why this is in
> conflict. Anybody encounter this... or is it just the
> fact that the Unix version of messenger is still in
> beta... and I may need to download the source binaries
> instead? Thanks in advance.
> -manny

Things you could try:
nslookup ns.yahoo.com
should return
Address:  204.71.177.33

nslookup 204.71.177.33
should return
Address:  204.71.177.33

If not, check /etc/resolv.conf for and make sure your ISPs DNS servers are
in there. Make sure there aren't any references to ns.yahoo.com in
/etc/hosts.

Are you running IPMASQ to share the phone line or is it a "Manny, get off
the phone I need to check my e-mail!" type deal.

Are you running Bind locally? If you are, stop bind and see what happens.

Last thought, try the Java client and see if it chokes with a similar error.
Everybuddy supports the Yahoo!Messagner stuff as well. Gabber might also.
GTKYahoo, Gyach, Imici Messenger, and KYahoo seem to be other options
(freshmeat.net is your friend.)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX:132)
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (FAX)  763-428-9126