Andy,

I couldn't help but grimace at your post.  No offense.

With such a system, I can see a whole new crop of cracker attacks as a
result of such ever-user-friendly, "plug-and-play"ish packages.  IMHO,
there is a point at which a system automates itself beyond a safe point --
trying to be more friendly to inexperienced (lazy? maybe) users.  This is
the whole reason we have ridiculous things like macro viruses.

In contrast, I would encourage the download and compilation of the
sources.  Aside from what's in the compiler itself, this is total
control.  As slick as debs or rpms are, I can't help but feel as though
they're sloppy and a "lazy" method for running (supposedly) trusted
executables.

Just my two cents... looking forward to a discussion.

Timothy

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Andy Zbikowski wrote:

> aren't much alike in reality. With Debain, you should be able to, in theory,
> install every package [except for those that conflict, exim and sendmail
> can't be installed at the same time for example] and everything you install
> will work, and will work to the extent the package maintainer has configured
> it to work out fo the box. Try that with Red Hat. =)

Timothy Houck
thouck at thouck.com
www.thouck.com