> I don't have access to a newsgroup (nntp) server. What is the best
> (easiest) way to be able to use pan as my newsreader. Can I run some
> daemon that is easy to step up that will just forward nntp requests to the
> necessary server -- and let pan to use localhost? The less configuration
> the better.

do you mean that you want to set up your own news server? if you don't have
access to a news server, how will your proxy get to one?

leafnode may be what you're looking for. it's a one-way NNTP server (it acts
like a news server to the clients; but is a client to the main news server
itself). it will dynamically subscribe/unsubscribe from groups, based on
whether or not you access them.
check freshmeat for URLs.

Carl Soderstrom
--