You only need the notail option if you have /boot a reiserfs partition.
(Either included in / or as a reiserfs /boot). This is because lilo has
problems with the holes in the files that reiserfs makes. Making a small
ext2 /boot allows you to not use the notail option.
http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/kt20000417_63.epl#10

Also if you're using GRUB, you don't need to do this.

I found a cool website that explains how to install debian on a resierfs
filesystem. It even has rescue, boot and driver images available. Worked
like a charm for me.
http://www.psouth.com/~jjk/projects/reiser-debian/?972472457