Hiya.

Without sounding like I'm adding to a flame...

I think it's important to hear people's opinions, whether you think they
are right or wrong.  Please don't try to keep the list members from "Going
off and saying..." whatever they want. :)

I appreciate your opinion, and you are probably right.  However, it is
still an opinion and, just like Veldy's, must be taken as opinion.

For the record, I've used cable and recently (6 months ago) switch to
DSL.  I prefer the DSL, although the only problem I've had with cable is
the bandwidth.  DSL seems more predictable and consistent.  That's my
opinion.

Timothy

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Scott Dier wrote:

> Since ive had enough bashing-time on this topic, i suggest you check out
> the archives.  There are many of us who love our cable modems, and love
> our dsl.
>
> Whatever is out there, you have tradeoffs.  And I find it cheaper for me
> to do it with cable and a colo, than really expensive DSL to gain the
> same bandwidth effect.
>
> And, yes. my latency is fine.
>
> All you gotta do is go to www.mn-linux.org, find the box on the right to
> search the archives and put in "cable modem dsl"
>
> IMHO, its the difference between 640k, with a static, or 2MBit or more,
> without.  I'll take the dynamic ip, and more bandwidth, thank you.
>
> Going off and saying DSL is the only way to go is pretty bad when many
> of us here on the list rely on it every day with little or no problems,
> and enjoy the bandwidth we get from it.
>
> * Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy at veldy.net> [001022 21:43]:
> > If you actually qualify for the 640K from Qwest, I would use them with a
> > good ISP (i.e. VISI.com, real-time and others).
> >
> > You will prefer DSL if you get a good provider and get enough bandwidth.
> > That is my opinion anyway.  I have personally had a Cable Modem from
> > MediaOne and a couple of DSL providers to make my judgement.
> >
> > Tom Veldhouse
> > veldy at veldy.net

Timothy Houck
thouck at thouck.com