Gabe -

I just went through this last weekend.  My Cisco booted up to that
message after I moved it, so I had to wipe the old IOS & install 2.2
luckily I still had dial up access...

es 0 -> es 6
set nvram erase
wr
rb
df 10008000 (XMODEM File Transfer)
    RECORD file size x'fered
pb 10008000 fee00000 <RECORDED File Size>
let'r rip...

The one thing that isn't mentioned in the upgrade docs is
_set_nvram_erase_ ( got this from a qwest service tech ).  The other
thing that I did was to leave it powered down for several hours.  If
you want to see what is at that location, check out the link
regarding "How to recover lost passwords"  When the location comes up
empty, the install should go fine

HTH
Jay