Telnetd runs through inetd.  When you get a telnet request, inetd starts
the telnet daemon.  When you're not getting telnet requests, inetd shuts
off the daemon.

rtfm inetd for more info.

Gabe

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 12:22:59AM -0500, Jamie Ostrowski wrote:

>    I have a server running with Red Hat 6.2 on it. I can telnet the local
> loopback IP address and get a telnet session with the machine, but what I
> am baffled that I don't have a telnetd running in the process table. I
> thought Linux had a telnetd running to support telnet sessions with
> clients. What gives?
>
>    - Jme

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"I'm gonna hit ya, and you're gonna fall.
 And I'm gonna look down, and I'm gonna laugh."
 						- Ren Hoek in "Sven Hoek"