Quoting ^chewie <chewie at wookimus.net>:

> Now, if I want to add a new disk and, say, migrate /home/ftp to it, I
> can do so simply by paritioning that ENTIRE disk as a physical volume.
> I can skip the fdisk step entirely, allowing me to use the otherwise
> reserved administration space on the disk.  I can add that physical
> volume to volume group vg01 if I desire, or start an entirely new VG.

This ability alone makes it worth going to LVM. Never again do you need to move
all of your data somewhere else when your partition fills up. All you need to do
it throw another disk at it, and whammo- more space! That's how HP-UX does its
filessystems by default and it make life so much easier.

Anyone know if it is possible to resize logical volumes on the fly in Linux?
(ala HP's Online JFS)