While we're kinda on the subject, haw about a compiling your kernel on
debian howto?

This isn't exactly official, but it's how I do it.
I use /usr/src/ because that's where make-kpkg expects to find the stuff.

My new kernel procedure is:
grab source (usually from kernel.org, or just something I grab when
selecting packages for the first time.)
rm /usr/src/linux
mkdir /usr/src/kernel-source-version
ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-version /usr/src/linux
chown -R root:src /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig (or make xconfig) as a normal user in the src group.
sudo make-kpkg --revision=whatever kernel_image
sudo make-kpkg modules_image
mv /lib/modules/kernel-version /lib/moules/kernel-version.old (if you're
recompiling the same kernel version)
dpkg -i kernel-image-version_revision_i386.deb
modules-image-version_revision_i386.deb

***
modules_image
         This target allows you to build all packages  under
         /usr/src/modules, but does not create the source or
         diff files, and does not create and sign a  changes
         file.  This  is the only modules related option you
         need if you just want to compile the add on modules
         image   files  for  installation  on  one  or  more
         machines.
***
The modules image builds my alsa drivers as well as i2c and lm-sensors,
which are in the debian packages alsa-source, i2c-source, and
lm-sensors-source. Follow the documentation that comes with each packages.

Other things I could build but don't are:  kernel_headers, kernel_doc, and
if you want to break your system today, libc-kheaders (this image is for the
libc maintainers, as it builds the package that will update
/usr/include/linux).

There are probally ways to refine the process, but as it is, it works and
that's all I need on my home system. There was a time when I didn't use the
make-kpkg tool, but make-kpkg is faster than make dep; make modules; make
modules install; make bzImage; etc. Yup, I got lazy.

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX:132)
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (FAX)  763-428-9126