From: Joel Schneider [mailto:jts at tc.umn.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 11:23 PM
To: TCLUG
Subject: RE: [TCLUG:22812] Licensing of NT in a linux vs nt whitepaper

> Since I have never really used NT for anything, I am not sure I totally
> understand the licensing agreements.
>
> I am writing a paper comparing linux to nt from a cost prospective
(money).

The following is a couple years old and doesn't speak directly to
licensing issues, but it may still be helpful.

Providing Reliable NT Desktop Services by Avoiding NT Server:
http://www.bell-labs.com/user/tal/papers/ntdesktop/ntdesktop/ntdesktop.html

> Doing a similar thing for Postgres vs MySQL vs MS SQL server vs MS Access.

What about Oracle, Sybase, Informix, and IBM (DB2)?  I've seen rumors
that the free version of Sybase works well under Linux...

> MS Access seems to say single user, so as a db backend to a busy website,
is the
> NT box the 1 user?

Licensing issues aside, (IMHO) MS Access shouldn't be used as a
repository for mission critical data.  What happens if (when) the MDB
file becomes "corrupted"?

Joel

For additional commands, e-mail: tclug-list-help at mn-linux.org