Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm going to get a new sound card tomorrow. It's finally time to retire the
> old Soundblaster 16! I'm tired of dealing with isapnptools and sound card
> junk so I need a recommendation for a PCI sound card that will be well
> supported out of the box on a Debian system. No muss, no fuss is the name of
> the game. I'm not into gaming so I just need something to listen to music
> with.
>
> -Tim
>
> --
> Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
> Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/
> W. St. Paul, MN |                              | http://slashdot.org/
> wilson at visi.com |   <dtml-var pithy_quote>     | http://linux.com/

I bought a "Ensoniq Audio PCI" for >$40 a year and one half ago and it
has been really nice for me. It uses the 'es1371' kernel module. It
works on every OS I have ever tried, Linux, NT, FreeBSD,etc...

As far as quality, it is respectable. I have it hooked up to a subwoofer
and a pair of JBL studio Monitors and it sounds pretty goot to me. If
anyone knows of a more 'audiophile' grade card that is well supported I
would love to hear about it.

--
Dave Erickson {gsa700 at mediaone.net}
http://people.mn.mediaone.net/gsa700/