> > Redundant Array of "Independent" Disks
> >
> No, Andy was right... It's inexpensive.  It come from back in the day when
> a 1 GIG drive, for example, was << in price than, say, a 10 GIG drive.
> So, you could maybe buy 20 1 GB drives for the price of a single 10 GB.

Actually, I think it's inexpensive as in "uses PC disks, rather than IBM
DASD" [those 14"-platter refrigerator-sized units]. so you can buy a stack
of 100MB drives at $500/ea, instead of a 1GB drive at $100,000.
(ok, I pulled those figures out of my ass; but they may be vaguely reasonable
for the time).
	too far ancient history for most of us. :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises