> However, I'm tempted to switch my server machines over to Debian Potato
> some day, now that it includes 2.2 kernel support.  (I've been too
> busy/lazy to mess around with it until installation ISOs became easily
> available)

<begins banging head agnist wall>
Debian ISOs are easily available. Check out the psudo-image kit. dieman
might have the iso's built on the real-time mirror, not sure.

But with debian, you don't need the ISOs unless you have a slow connection.
Even still, it will probally be faster to do a network install than to
download the 3 iso images because 3 iso images are 650mb (well, max a cd can
hold.) Typical debian install takes maybe 250mb of packages.

Here's the thing with debian, when you first do your install, just get what
you need right now! Then, create yourself a daily, weekly, whatever cron
job. While you're sleeping, let the cron job dial up, run apt-get update,
and then apt-get -d -y install package1 package2.

In the morning, run apt-get install package1 package2 (leave out the -d
[download only] and -y [answer yes] flags and you're all set. Do not use the
-y flag when installing or your config files WILL be overwritten without
prompting.)

As for install, all you need is 3 floppies (5 is you have some stranger
hardware.) Get the compact rescue, root, and driver disks. If you have the
outlandish hardware, you will need the fill floppies (3 driver disks) That's
it. From there you should have enough to dial up to the internet (or get on
the net via ether, even through a proxy) and fetch the base2_2.tgz (which
comes out to be about 13 floppies if you do the floppy install).

Once the base is installed, it will kick you into tasksel or dselect. If you
really want a minimal box, skip both and just use apt-get to fetch your
packages. ISO is not the way to go! You will realize this, yes you will...

Yes, there are some reasons to have an iso around. Rescue disk. If you need
a bootable CD, get something really useful like the Linuxcare bootable
business card ISO. It's still smaller than the debian set, and you can start
a debian network install from it. Plus you get more rescue options than the
debian iso's or rescue floppies.

My $0.10, where's me $0.08 change?

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX:132)
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (FAX)  763-428-9126