On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Bill Layer wrote:

> On the subject of hardware, have there been any A/B listening tests of
> various soundcard's audio quality? Are there any true "high end" soundcards
> - meaning cards that use film caps instead of electrolytics, low noise /
> low inductance resistors, low-noise op-amps, extra EMF / RF shielding,
> decent design & metallurgy in the audio connectors etc ?

Bill,

I'd be happy to talk about more of these issues off list, but the bottom
line is that the kind of differences in finesse performance that you're
talking about will never be achieved by a sound card that has the D/A
contained in the harsh RFI environment found inside a computer.

If you want audiophile quality, put a spigot on the back and pipe your
data to a properly built box, with all the analog electrical engineering
you desire, but also with a properly done clock source -- ain't that easy
to find cheap, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms to talk about.

Phil Mendelsohn
(The hacker formerly known as Chief Engineer of Hotdish Mastering)

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous