The multimeter will do just fine but you will have to play one trick or
another to make the necessary series connection with the power cord to
measure current draw.. I have a special, short extension cord that has one
conductor broken so that the meter may be inserted in series with the loop.

Set the meter for the current scale and measure the current draw with the
device powered on. Then, keeping the device powered on, set the meter for
an AC RMS voltage scale and measure the supply voltage at the wall - it's
not wise to estimate, as AC mains voltages can be anywhere between 109 and
126VAC - with 117 being nominal. Once you know current and RMS supply
voltage, power (wattage) calculation is this easy:

P = E * I (Where P is power (in watts), E is energy (in volts) and I is
current (in amperes))

I should mention that most all (even inexpensive) meters automatically give
AC voltage readings in RMS - so don't get too concerned about this issue.
If the meter doesn't say otherwise, it's giving the reading in RMS.