This reminds me of a little story.  A company that we work with also housed
some of our employees out in California, and some of our remote offices
VPN'd into them, and got internet access through some terrible NT proxies.
One was a Netscrape proxy and the other was a MS proxy.  The netscape proxy
was the only one that would handle socks5 ftp programs properly, but it
bluescreened about 6 times a day.  And the MS-proxy machine would crash at
least once a day.  Alot of our people had to upload time sensitive video
files to our site.

I whacked up a linux box and installed squid and dante, gave it the same IP
as the netscape proxy, and had one of our guys sneak it into the server room
and secretly replace the netscape proxy.

It was originally meant for about 10 people to use, but almost every
employee of the other company started using it, over 500 of them.  There
were constanly over 300 ESTABLISHED connections to the box at any one time.
Never ever had a problem with it, over 300 days of uptime before they took
it down.  They tried to block Napster because it was using so much bandwidth
and they couldn't figure out how it was still getting through because they
blocked it at their proxy.  They finally figured out no one was using the
crappy MS proxy.  It took them over a month to get all of the employees
switched back to their proxy before they could remove mine.

Jay