there are some projects out there allready for this kind of project.. i
saw one on /. the other day.. you are going to need more CPU time for
decoding, especialy if you want to make the system skip-proof.  rumor has
it.. the empeg guys are doing a home-stereo thing.

things you should consider..

atleast a p200 CPU or equivilent.. you may want to display output on a TV
set, and consider consumer IR (normal home remotes) for controlers.

there are several web-based playlist managers, that would work for
web-based controls. (and you could do such a thing on the TV set)

depending on what you do.. high end sound cards will cost you a bundle.. I
suggest providing SPIDIF output, PC hardware has too much noise in
it.. when i had a PC attached to my stereo system, i used an optical
cable, and a coax-digital cable from it to play mp3's (optical) and DVD's
(coax) to my yamaha reciver, which has the DAC's in it.. it sounded very
nice, no 60hz buz, or other wierd things.. i've seen a lot of cheap to
expensive soundcards that passthrough CPU noise, drive seeking, network
traffic.. it can be REALLY anoying.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)