> The problem is that root is both the owner and group that has control over
> /www. Thus, Fred is unable to upload anything to /www. I have used chmod to
> change file permissions in the past, but can not seem to properly use it to
> change the owner and group controlling /www. How do I do this?

Well, you have some options:

1) give fred ownership of /www

    chown fred.web /www

2) give the web group group-ownership of /www and then make the directory
setGID

    chgrp web /www ; chmod g+rwx /www ; chmod g+s /www

HTH,

Gabe
Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    Univerisity of Minnesota
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Let's take a closer look, shall we?  What's this?  AHHH!  An ingrowned
 dunclaw!  Disqualified!!!!  Take him away!" -- Judge
"YOW!!  I spent months pushing in that dunclaw!!" -- George Liquor
				- Stimpy fails George Liquor in "Dog Show"