On Friday, October 13, 2000, Chris Opp <cop7586 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> In the news recently Corel has made plans to be bought out by Microsoft. I
> was just wondering what people thought about that? Do you think that they
> are sell outs?

Err, not even close!  Microsoft invested in Corel with "non-voting"
shares.  MS does not want Corel to die (just like it doesn't want Apple
to die), or even to buy it out.  The fewer major competitors MS has, the
more likely it'll get nailed for monopolistic behavior.

One theory is that MS's investment in Corel is an under-the-table
settlement of their past lawsuits against MS.

John

--
dusk at ravendusk.org                            http://www.gnome.org
jsheets at codeweavers.com                  http://www.worldforge.org