On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 02:50:59PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> I'd rather have a rapid release cycle, followed by a flurry of bug fixes then a
> stagnate distribution.

I agree, but there needs to be some explicit statement of what's a rapid
release and what's been tested and fixed.  Something along the lines of
Debian's stable/unstable designations.

Then there's the question of how broadly 'release early, release often'
applies.  Should the early and potentially buggy releases be pushed out to
the masses or just made available for download by those who know enough to
watch freshmeat?  While I can't answer that from a philosophical standpoint,
I have to say that, on a practical level, the latter is preferable.  The
people who just install what their distro gives them and don't know (or care)
to go out and get the latest leading-edge stuff off the web or an ftp site
are also the people who are most likely to complain (and will complain the
loudest) about anything that doesn't work.

Also, what happens to 6.x now?  Will there ever be a Red Hat 6.3 or will they
now be supporting only the 7.x series?  If 6.x is left for dead, how is that
any different than MS forcing everyone to upgrade to their latest bugware by
dropping support for the previous version?  (Note the _if_.  I am not saying
that RH is doing that.  I am asking; I honestly don't know the answer.  I
don't follow RH and I'm not trying to start a distro holy war.)

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+