"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

> And now the GCC steering commitee has issued a statement that pretty much
> reprimands Redhat for using the gcc-2.96 snapshot.  I think they are just in
> a hurry for new features instead of tested features.  That really is too
> bad.

Thats gotta be the most evil thing they did. Can't even compile the
kernel with it. They plop an older version named kgcc in for kernel
development...

root at bigtime:~$ kgcc -v
Reading specs from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-glibc21-linux/egcs-2.91.66/specs
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)
root at bigtime:~$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.0)

Heh. They even tagged it Red Hat. Of course, Red Hat does own Cygnus
now, which makes finding Cygwin hidden in RedHat's website somewhere
impossible to find except with a search. Blah...

Userspacewise I've had no problem, XMMS and SDL and friends have
compiled flawlessly. Which makes me very very happy, and glad I
microwaved my Mandrake CD...

g++ is pretty messed up though. It has the headers at least. ;) But it
tends to crash on bad code, rather than giving any useful errors and
terminating gracefully. Though it still at least gives you a line
number... Makes it kind of scary to use for newbie C++ development. ;)