On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Adam Maloney wrote:

> Yesterday was my 21st B-day.  After work I stopped by Liquor Warezhouse to
> pick up some fire water.  I wanted Red Stripe but they didn't have any, so
> I grabbed a case of Hacker Pschorr just because of the name.  Bring it up
> to the counter, the guy glances at me, rings me up, takes my
> money...doesn't even bother to card me.  God!  I've been waiting 21 years
> to buy my "first" beer and I'm finally old enough but it doesn't even
> matter.  I still get carded buying cigarettes for god sake.  My working
> theory is that I wasn't nervous, played it cool, and hadn't shaved that
> morning.  That and I wasn't buying Old Swillwaukie or miller high-life,
> which is what all the high-school kids drink because it's all they can
> get.

I have a different suspicion about why you didn't get carded.  Profit
margin on "specialty" beers may be higher than on PBR, Bud, what have you.

If you want to delve into beers futher, I might suggest that you look into
the traditions of Belgian beer making.  The Belgians are to beer as the
French are to wine.

Cheers, and congrats on another lap around the solar system.
Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous