Chris,

I ran FreeBSD back in the 2.x days back at another company, I have a
machine or two here that run it also (unix6 - uptime 229 days!).

The main difference between FreeBSD and Linux is that FreeBSD is BSD-like
unix and Linux is more SysV like unix.  Generally any unix that's not a
*BSD is System V like.

FreeBSD has more of a core team of developers, it's not as close to the
bazaar model as Linux is.  The most notable thing about it is that it's
rock-solid.  The BSD TCP stack is probably the best in the world, which is
why many vendors use it for non-computer devices and many vendors base
their firewall/NAT/router products on BSD code.

Here are the different BSD's and what they are:

FreeBSD - the "linux" of the BSD's, very good all-around OS
OpenBSD - designed to be the most secure operating system, they took the
BSD code and did a complete audit for buffer overflows and other nasties
NetBSD - designed to be the most portable, it runs on all sorts of
platforms
BSD/OS - (aka BSDI) - the commercial version of BSD.  They now own Walnut
Creek (cdrom.com) and Slackware (well, they don't really "own" it...).

FreeBSD is an excellent operating system, and I urge you to try it if you
have some spare hardware lying around.  My first BSD system was a 486/100
running FreeBSD 2.2.6 called Desire.  Desire only did DNS and backup mail,
but it was incredibly reliable.

It's fairly easy to setup, but a bit different from Linux.  The package
management is also very cool.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications