Quoting Chris Opp <cop7586 at hotmail.com>:

> Got a quick question-
>
> I was at the store last night and I saw freeBSD software being sold. It
> grabbed my attention so I picked up the box and looked it over. Too my
> amazement it looks similiar to Linux. How is BSD different from Linux?
> From
> what I read on the box it didn't look like much. I guess that there is
> probably more than meets the eye with this, so could someone please
> elaborate for me? I think it was version 4.4.x or something. It had KDE
> and
> I think GNOME and many of the same tools and programs as  the popular
> linux
> distributions.

*BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD) are all very similar to Linux. Just as Solaris
and HP-UX are. Most of the software the is distributed with Linux is easy to
recompile under other UNIX's so you can make almost any UNIX look like 'outta
the box' Linux. (Gnome, KDE, etc.)

As for the differences, it's mainly in the underlying code. *BSD is based on the
BSD code of the early 70's. Linux was written from scratch by the man himself.
Also the licensing is different. Linux uses the GPL, *BSD uses the BSD license.

*BSD is a little more mature since it's been around a little longer than Linux.
Especially the networking code which is suppose to better. This is why many of
the large FTP and WWW sites use it instead of Linux.

On the other hand Linux runs on just about anything.

I don't have a lot of experience with *BSD so I can't really say for sure.
Anyone else have first-hand experience?

Here are a few links I dig up:
http://www.cdrom.com/~rab/bsd_chart.html
http://www.operatingsystems.net/oses/freebsd.htm